"paper-pusher"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jun 19 01:46:54 UTC 2005

Thanks for the cite, Fred.

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: "paper-pusher"

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Can anyone find a pre-1944 ex. "paper-pusher" and/or "paper-pushing"?

1943 _Reno Evening Gazette_ 4 Jan. 43 (Newspaperarchive.com)
After we figure up our new taxes we are going to be pretty mad whenever we
see or hear of a single paper-pusher or payroller who isn't absolutely
needed?

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com