'We' for 'I' in writing

Sun Jun 19 20:48:59 UTC 2005

Larry writes:

 It's a consequence of the law of preservation of number.  It's the
fault of the copy-editors at the U. of Chicago Press who (when they
can tear themselves away from their "which"es and "that"s) insist on
changing all 1st person plurals--including the joint
me-author-and-you-reader-are-in-this-together "we"--to singulars, so
that my references to e.g.

As we have seen in Chapter 2,...
We can see from these examples that...
We can distinguish the following cases:

were systematically changed to

As I have seen in Chapter 2,...
I can see from these examples that...
I can distinguish the following cases:
 <<<<<

You can tell them from me that they're nuts and that they ought to be
ashamed of themselves.

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian,
   Orthoepist, and Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel
   [This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]