SummerStage (or, Summerstage)

Sun Jun 19 21:17:53 UTC 2005

Barry cited:
> Among the 54 stunning visual images on display will be photographs of
> Celia Cruz from her very last live performance, Buddy Guy, Annie
> Lennox, Lady Blacksmith Mambazo,

Wilson asked:
>Shouldn't that be _Ladysmith Black Mambozo_?

Almost. It's "Ladysmith Black Mamb{a}zo". (I will nobly refrain from saying
anything about clowns, Wilson.)

Curiosity led me to Google them. From their web site
(http://www.mambazo.com/bio.html):

The name LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO came about as a result of winning every
singing competition in which the group entered. "Ladysmith" is the hometown
of the Shabalala family; "Black" makes reference to black oxen, considered
to be the strongest on the farm. The Zulu word "Mambazo" refers to an ax -
symbolic of the group's ability to "chop down" the competition. So good were
they that after a time they were forbidden to enter the competitions but
welcomed, of course, to entertain at them.

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]