recent francophobic slur

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 20 01:54:05 UTC 2005

They don't do as well with "Axis of weasels" [sic], which I've heard (on Fox, of course) only without the plural "s." The non-count form makes it funnier, relatively speaking, of course.

JL

Fred Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Fred Shapiro
Subject: Re: recent francophobic slur

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> Google turns up about 30,000 exx. of "cheese-eating surrender monkeys"
> as a ridiculing epithet for the French.

Wikipedia has a great little article on "Cheese-eating surrender monkeys."
This is actually, in my view, an outstanding example of Wikipedia at its
best, writing authoritatively about something that no traditional
encyclopedia would ever think of having an article about.

Fred Shapiro

Fred R. Shapiro Editor
Associate Librarian for Collections and YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
Access and Lecturer in Legal Research Yale University Press,
Yale Law School forthcoming
e-mail: fred.shapiro at yale.edu http://quotationdictionary.com