hot rod

Mon Jun 20 17:14:24 UTC 2005

 hot rod -- OED has 1945 for "A motor vehicle specially modified to give
high power and speed"

"DELINQUENCY OFTEN RESULT OF TRUANCY" GENE SHERMAN, Los Angeles Times;
May 31, 1943;  pg. 5 col 2.
"My brother was barreling around in a hot rod (that's a cut-down car)
and I thought that was the thing to do."

hot rodder -- OED has 1949

[cite in headline]" 'Hot Rodder' Gives Critic Hot Reply" May 9, 1947;
pg. A12 col 6.

[cite in headline]
"Hot Rodder Up for Sentence on Dec. 11" California | Van Nuys | The Van
Nuys News | 1947-11-20 p. 1 col 5.

hot rodding -- OED has 1953
"Odds and Ends" Illinois | Murphysboro | The Daily Independent |
1948-02-21 p. 2 col 2.
"Senator Alexander Wiley, Rep., Wis., feels that right now is the time
to prepare to legislate by television in event some jet-propelled
contraption comes hot-rodding through the heavens and lays a few atomic
bombs on this fair land,
beginning with the Capital."