"No pork on my fork"

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jun 20 19:58:31 UTC 2005

During the Korean-War era, a friend of mine was stationed at Redstone
Arsenal at Huntsville. According to him, GI's referred to the locals as
"doo-wahs," because of a feature of the local dialect. Instead of
saying, "huh? or "what?" or even "say what?", the locals said, "_Do_
what?"

Thanks to Jerry Springer, I can testify that "do what?" is still used
in this way, though, unfortunately, I can't say where, since the
"guests" don't always mention their home states or hometowns. To my
ear, "do what?" has the same intonation pattern as "say what?"

-Wilson Gray