"opening the kimono" (1979?, 1984)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jun 21 05:45:09 UTC 2005

On Jun 20, 2005, at 5:37 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "opening the kimono" (1979?, 1984)
> --------
>
> Right back at you, poppa-stoppa !

Do what?! When I was a little kid, ca.1940, in Texas, I used to hear my
mother and her friends use "poppa-stoppa." They had no idea of the
origin of the term, of course. Next thing I know, someone will be
saying, "okey-doke(y)"! At one time, that was so popular that there was
a comic strip named "Sir Oakey Doakes." It parodied the days of knights
and featured the catch phrase, "Odds bodkin!"

-Wilson