"opening the kimono" (1979?, 1984)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 21 14:55:21 UTC 2005

You're probably right about the humorously allusive origin of "poppa-stoppa" (from the M-word) but remember - us white folks usually ain't hip to what's really goin' down.  Bear with us.

In related news, a friend of mine heard "poppa-stoppa" used forty years ago in Arkansas as a jocular word for a condom. Makes sense, but only one or two Usenet hits turn up, appied to any birth-control device.

Hmmm. Now I'm wondering if "condom" mightn't have been the *original* meaning, say in the '30s. Once it was circulating, it would be easy to use it as a jokey form of "motherfucker."

 One never knows.

JL

Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Wilson Gray
Subject: Re: "opening the kimono" (1979?, 1984)

DJ's used it?! This may be crying Wol(o)f, but I've long been under the
impression that "poppa-stoppa" was a kind of punning pseudo-euphemism
for "mutha-fukka," inspired by a traditional joke - told and re-told by
generations of little boys, each passing it along under the impression
that they are the first to have heard it - whose punch line is, "That
woddn no 'whoppa!' That was my asshole-stoppa!"

WRT "okey-dokey," I do recall that Richard Pryor used it in his "Black
Ben the blacksmith" bit in the 'Seventies.

-Wilson