"No pork on my fork"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jun 21 15:23:38 UTC 2005

        I gather that Bliss previously was known, briefly, as Turk.  I
don't know why, but I'm going to guess that a Mr. Turk was involved.  If
Weed ever had another name, I don't know what it was; it wasn't a big
place, just a store and a few houses on Meatskin Road. Bliss and Weed
are pretty much defunct now, and were already in the 1960s.  They were
originally named after individuals (in the case of Weed, after Charles
Weed Sparks, Sr., who also had Sparksville named after him).

        The folks on Jaybird Ridge now call it Jones Chapel.  I liked
Jaybird Ridge better.  When it was called Jaybird Ridge, they all
claimed to be from my native Gradyville, a smaller but better-known and
more prestigious place.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 11:03 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "No pork on my fork"

"Weed" and "Bliss" must've been renamed in the '60s.  Come on, John,
what were they originally ?

JL

---------------------- Information from the mail header
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Baker, John"
-------

And don't forget Monticello. Unusual place names seem to be a strength
of Kentucky's.

John Baker (who grew up between Weed and Bliss, next to Jaybird Ridge)