"No pork on my fork"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 21 16:06:52 UTC 2005

At 10:52 AM -0400 6/21/05, Beverly Flanigan wrote:
>Pay-ru (IN), Chi-lee (IN), Lie-ma (OH), Rye-o Grand (OH), . . .  Didn't we
>cover these a few years ago?

We did indeed, and probably a few years before that.  It's your basic
comet scenario.

On each of those occasions, I must have nominated my favorite, Chili,
NY (suburb of Rochester), pronounced [CHAI-lai], as in jai-alai.  And
of course the Ohioan pronunciation of "Lima" is also found in the
general pronunciation of the eponymous bean.

Larry