slang list

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Tue Jun 21 20:27:59 UTC 2005

I speak French that you do not want to  hear. Once I quaked in
linguistic horror as I entered a French pharmacy to buy the athlete's
foot medicine I so sorely needed. Would it be medicine for the "foot
of the athlete" (the English model), or the "mushrooms of the foot"
(the German model). I could say both in French, but which to say?
What a dilemma!

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu