"opening the kimono" (1979?, 1984)

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Jun 21 21:48:59 UTC 2005

        Wilson, you've teased us enough.  You're going to have to tell
us the joke.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Wilson Gray
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 4:58 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "opening the kimono" (1979?, 1984)

You are correct, sir! However, in the interests of full disclosure, let
me state that this is my own, intuitive analysis, since all of these
terms, and the joke referred to, antedate my birth. Had I been present
at their creation, I might think - or even know - different. ["Think
different" and "know different" are good BE. At the moment, I can't come
up with standard equivalents. Merely adding -ly doesn't work.]

-Wilson Gray