potato slur

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 21 22:13:46 UTC 2005

I recommend _The Couch Potato Handbook_ to all interested parties. I cited it in HDAS I.

JL

Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Laurence Horn
Subject: Re: potato slur

>What a great illustration of the Standard Language Ideology!
>It shows the belief that (a) the presence of a word/phrase in a dictionary
>(especially the OED) legitimizes it, and (b) removing a word/phrase from a
>dictionary would actually affect usage.

And as a one-time acquaintance of Robert Armstrong (a henchman of R.
Crumb), who is not only associated (at least in some quarters) with
the coinage of "couch potato" but has actually received royalties
from the use of the word, I see no slur intended against either
potatoes or couches. Robert was, and I assume is, a remarkably
non-judgmental sort. (FWIW, he always claimed he invented it with
the allusion to "toober" in mind.) I see he's not credited as coiner
by the OED, though, although he was in other stories I've read over
the years. (He's the Armstrong who co-authored _The Official
Couch-Potato Handbook_ in the 1983 cite, but he was already
silk-screening couch potato T-shirts in the mid-1970s.)

larry