Hell, Heaven or Hoboken (1918); Cloud Around the Moon; No Pork on My Fork

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 22 05:21:22 UTC 2005

HELL, HEAVEN OR HOBOKEN (BY CHRISTMAS)
I spent part of that day in Hoboken, now celebrating 150 years as an incorporated town (since 1855). This saying was featured in the Historical Museum, just off the ferry terminal.
I don't know what Fred has. The American Heritage Dictionary of Quotations has "ANONYMOUS, 1917." It's said to be from General Pershing in 1918.
http://dagleydagley.blogspot.com/2003_03_09_dagleydagley_archive.html
Heaven, Hell, or Hoboken: Last in a Series

There was a catch to General John Pershing's promise of "Heaven, Hell, or Hoboken:" many of those who got the first two options still had to pass through Hoboken on their way home to their final resting places, since Hoboken's combined rail, train, and subway terminal was (and still is) the main hub connecting the New York metro area with the rest of the United States. The ferry terminal section has been unused for more than 25 years, but a restoration project is about to begin. The train station has already been restored (thank you, Sen. Frank Lautenberg). Here's an old postcard showing the terminal.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
 The Star And SentinelSaturday, August 24, 1918 Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
...in writing in Berlin, HEAVEN, or HOBOKEN before 'tries I have been in.....drawing us back' from the brink of HELL to the threshold of HEAVEN." This..

 The CapitalFriday, September 27, 1918 Annapolis, Maryland
...rcriamb a easy way to buy a HEAVEN, HOBOKEN, Or Home, By LIFE I M< TIIK KtlK.....dpllberatc hAND of those dirtv HELL- would be left without a friend AND..

 The Mansfield NewsSaturday, August 17, 1918 Mansfield, Ohio
...an in- until the PERISHING "HEAVEN, HELL or HOBOKEN by, Boys Write. On John.....given a new slogan for his troops. "HEAVEN, lisll or Hobokeu by he tells 'em..
 The Syracuse HeraldWednesday, September 18, 1918 Syracuse, New York
...fighting mad. Has Seen Hard HEAVEN. HELL or HOBOKEN by Xovem- has been.....ber. He declares that it will be HELL or by that time. Donaldson was a..
 Oxnard CourierSaturday, December 28, 1918 Oxnard, California
...ll ring off. hop- uould will be HELL, HEAVEN or Hobo- ing to be home with you.....soon ken by AND it is HOBOKEN j to all. Your loving son. BILL..

 The Daily ReviewWednesday, August 28, 1918 Decatur, Illinois
...in France. "it is either HEAVEN, HELL or HOBOKEN by according to Pershlng.....saying that It Is either 'HEAVEN, HELL or HOBOKEN' by Christmas, so I..

 The Fort Wayne News And SentinelThursday, November 14, 1918 Fort Wayne, Indiana
...they wanted to eat. say over 'HELL. HEAVEN or N. by but I hope it is HOBOKEN.....had a lovely trip through Eng- lAND AND the north AND central part of AND..

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)

YANKS PLAY AT WAR LIKE BOYS ON VACANT LOTS; Boche Shells and Flying Bullets Only Difference on West Front.
FREDERICK A SMITH. Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Aug 19, 1918. p. 3 (1 page) :
The American boys and officials are elated over their first scrap last week. The result has made them all the more confident, and the slogan often heard now is, "To hell, heaven, or Hoboken by December." The war correspondent's version is "To hell, heaven, or deleted by censor by December."
TELLS OF HUN RETREAT; Corpl. Dunlop, of This City, Says Move Came as Surprise. TIDE TURNED BY AMERICANS Pershing's Troops Cooperating With French Forced Germans Back and Began Own Offensive -- Saw Comrade Buried Alive by Shell. Saved by Infantrymen.
The Washington Post (1877. Sep 1, 1918. p. ED7 (1 page) :
"Our slogan now is 'Heaven, Hell or Hoboken by Christmas.'"
FATTEN YULETIDE TURK, HE WROTE; NOW IS WOUNDED; Official Casualty List Carries Thirty-seven Chicago Fighters.
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Sep 4, 1918. p. 4 (1 page) :
"Pershing said we would be in hell, heaven or Hoboken by Christmas, so you might as well order the turkey now and have Aunt Jennie roast it," wrote Corporal Adolph S. Busk, Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-first infantry, formerly the First infantry, Illinois national guard, in a letter dated Aug. 4.
CLOUD AROUND THE MOON
"Cloud Around the Moon" was in the Hoboken Cottage restaurant. Is this a New York City dish?
(GOOGLE)
Hoboken Delivery
Cloud Around the Moon ... $ 11.25. Crabmeat, scallops & fish filet with ...
Chinese Spicy mustard green onion, green red pepper in black bean sauce. ...
www.hobokendelivery.com/restaurant.asp?restaurant_id# - 125k - Cached - Similar pages
HOBOKEN COTTAGE
... Steak 12.95 Tender steak served on sizzing plate topped w Chinese veg in ... Cloud Around
the Moon 11.25 Crabmeat, scallops & fish filet with broccoli, snow peas & ...
www.hobokenx.com/detail/1.htm - 27k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages
[DOC] CHINESE MENU ITEMS
File Format: Microsoft Word 2000 - View as HTML
CHINESE MENU ITEMS. FISH WITH FIVE FLAVORS. BUDDHA’S SMILE. GRASP AT GOOD LUCK
... CLOUD AROUND THE MOON. THREE’S COMPANY. KING DO GAI. LING MONG CHICKEN ...
www.columbia.edu/cu/psychology/ courses/2630/September23.doc - Similar pages
| Midtown | Chinese | Vega House restaurant guide for new york ...
L8 Mixed Chinese Vegetable, $5.50. L9 * Double Sauteed Sliced Pork, $5.50 ...
S9 Cloud Around the Moon - scallops & jumbo shrimp w/ broccoli, ...
www.gotham2go.com/index.php/18/1/193 - 37k - Cached - Similar pages
| Theater District | Chinese | Cottage Noodle Shop restaurant ...
27, * Cold Spicy Chinese Cabbage, $3.50. 28, Cold Garlic Seaweed, $3.50 ... S6,
Cloud Around the Moon - king crab meat, scallops, & fish filet w/ broccoli, ...
www.gotham2go.com/index.php/54/1/361 - 39k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.gotham2go.com ]
Midtown | Chinese | Vega House restaurant guide for new york ...
... S9 Cloud Around the Moon - scallops & jumbo shrimp w/ broccoli, snow peas & string
beans, $8.95. Evergreen Classics. ... 80 * Chinese Eggplant in Garlic Sauce, $5.95 ...
gothammenus.com/index.php/18/1/193 - 37k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages
| Theater District | Chinese | Cottage Noodle Shop restaurant ...
... 146, Chinese Sausage Fried Rice, $5.75. ... S6, Cloud Around the Moon - king crab meat,
scallops, & fish filet w/ broccoli, snow peas & string beans, $9.50. ...
gothammenus.com/index.php/54/1/361 - 39k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages
West Side Chef 315 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019
Jade Pot - Bean curds, Chinese cabbage, tomato, broccoli, baby corns, snow peas,
... Cloud Around The Moon (Health Diet Menu) - Calamari, scallops, ...
www.delivery.com/merchant_listing/ NY/new_york/west_midtown/restaurants/chinese/?rid&63 - 72k - Cached - Similar pages
(FACTIVA)
GO!
GRAZING
REPORT ON CHINESE FOOD A BIT OVERDONE RESTAURANTS OFFER CHOICES THAT TRIM FAT
Ann Heller Restaurant Critic
512 words
Dayton Daily News
CITY
29
English
(Copyright 1997)

Chinese restaurant food keeps getting a bad rap from the fat police. A few years ago, the Center for Science in the Public Interest issued its alarms. This month, Consumer Reports jumped in with an indictment of traditional Chinese fare.
The magazine is generally above reproach, but it seems it did stack the deck this time. It chose to analyze such dishes as egg rolls, crispy noodles and orange beef, as well as sweet and sour pork. These are popular dishes, but obviously they are all fried. Telling me that they are loaded with fat is like telling me that cheesecake is full of fat. It's no surprise.
And the magazine also took issue with the size of the portions in Chinese restaurants, saying that `the average serving of sweet and sour pork would actually make 4 1/2 sensible servings.' That's debatable. No matter what the nutritionists say, I doubt most people would like to share a single entree with their spouse and two teen-age kids.
The magazine ignored the reality that many diners walk out of a Chinese restaurant with doggy bags. They don't eat the whole thing.
And the magazine glossed over the fact that many Chinese restaurants now have a `diet' section that offers foods prepared without added fat.
Locally, Hunan Gourmet has what the owners call a `Weight Watchers' section on the menu, and the dishes are the best of the so-called diet Chinese dishes I've tasted.
The chicken, the seafood and the vegetables are all steamed, and the five soy-based sauces offered are all made without fat.
Skepticism is met head-on at the table. The dinners are served prettily arranged in bamboo steamers. The garlic sauce, slightly spicy and flavorful, is served on the side. The portions are generous and the ever-present side of rice makes it a filling meal.
And they are modestly priced, all less than $10. The most expensive ($9.25) is the mixture of seafood called Cloud Around the Moon, with nicely cooked shrimp, scallops and crab. Another combines chicken with seafood for $8.50. Colorful steamed vegetables with crisp green beans and snow peas is an even lighter option and is an entree portion for $6.50.

NO PORK ON MY FORK
>From Factiva.
HOUSTON
Ken Hoffman
New York City will never forget
KEN HOFFMAN
Staff
817 words
Houston Chronicle
2 STAR
1
English
(Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle)

In Harlem, I stopped by a restaurant called No Pork On My Fork. I thought, such a funny name, and what an unusual place for a kosher restaurant. I asked the owner behind the counter, "What made you put a Jewish restaurant here?"
I mean, from the name, I just assumed . . . He said, "Not Jewish . . . we're Muslim. We don't eat pork, either."
Escape - NEW YORK - New boy in the 'hood - Bill Clinton opened his new office in Harlem last week. ...
By Esther Selsdon.
1,176 words
The Observer
10
English
(c) 2001
NO PORK ON MY FORK
Adam Clayton Av at African Square
Self-explanatory Nation of Islam restaurant for Louis Farrakhan supporters only.
CLINTON RATING: e (maybe)
Didn't dare go in and ask.
A Jungle Where The Canny Survive
930 words
Canberra Times
5
English
Saturday Review - Harlem-the new theme park.
By Gary Younge.
2,959 words
The Guardian
1
English
As more corporate fast-food outlets open, small businesses whose names are a taste of Harlem life 'No Pork on my fork' and 'Nuff Niceness' will be threatened. Rents are rising; many businesses are moving to the Bronx and Queens. Barbara Ann Teer says, 'They are bringing in the corporations and they are employing the workers.