No subject

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jun 22 18:58:44 UTC 2005

At 11:14 AM -0700 6/22/05, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Hi, Larry.  Cf. "My new shoes pinch," perh. semiconsciously
>interpreted as they "hurt." In a similar context, "The heel
>pinches."  Undoubtedly (I mean, "undoubtably," of course) some
>people may think that means my heel rather than the heel of the
>shoe.  So "pinch" comes to mean "hurt as though being pinched."

True, but I still maintain that "This may pinch a little" can only
refer to the effect on me, not to what the doctor or whoever is
doing, and that "This may prick a little" doesn't make sense to me in
this context, since the needle is definitely going in, the only
question being whether and to what degree it will hurt me when it
does.  "I'm going to prick you a little now" would be possible here
(although it wouldn't be very nice), but not "This may prick", while
"pinch" or "sting" can be used for either the action or the effect.
YMMV, of course.

>Anyway, my dentist also says, "This may sting a little."

Yes, that's what I'm used to hearing.  And I don't see it as a
euphemism, since the needle for the novocain (or whatever they now
use that we still call novocain even though it isn't) really does
feel like an insect sting.