'kimono' pronun & use

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Wed Jun 22 21:18:30 UTC 2005

Hiro Oshita has also clarified the pronunciation and use of 'kimono'.  The
Japanese pronun. is actually closer to [kI mo' n@] than to [kI mo'
no].  But it's really the "turned script a" between /a/ and /O/, the same
vowel we have in Appalachian/SE Ohio English, as confirmed by Hiro.  He's
never heard a final [o] in a Japanese context but acknowledges, of course,
that English speakers would go to either schwa or [o].  Hurrah for Vicki's
mother and mine, who opted for schwa!

On use, Hiro says the kimono could also be generalized to mean "dress," as
when we say "His/her dress was appropriate to the occasion" (gender
neutral).  But the narrower meaning is now more general.