"Shev-uh-lay"

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Thu Jun 23 13:10:20 UTC 2005

When I was a kid in the Louisville area, a common phonetic pun on
Chevrolet was the mock interrogative "(does) she-ever-lay."

Margaret's interesting post suggests wedge-fronting, although
southern back-vowel fronting is more often studied with reference to
the tense vowels, but some of our acoustic work on southern vowel
formants turns up as much fronting of lax /u/ ("good") and wedge as
well.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu