"nothwithstood" (was Re: Language of Albany)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jun 23 15:42:41 UTC 2005

At 3:35 AM -0400 6/23/05, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>_http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/nyregion/23lingo.html_
>(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/23/nyregion/23lingo.html)
>In Language of Albany, Webster Is Notwithstood

My favorite part of this is the participle in the title.  In the
actual article, it's claimed to be a past tense:
==============
NOTWITHSTANDING is something of a magic word in Albany. It is
inserted in bills as part of a phrase like "notwithstanding other
laws to the contrary," meaning that whatever other laws say, they do
not apply in this case. Now that is power! Its past tense is
"notwithstood," as in this hypothetical but entirely plausible
sentence: "We thought we might run into a problem with another
chapter but we notwithstood it."
===============
I'm assuming it's formed on analogy with "understood".  A googling
yields several hundred "notwithstood"s, but many are either obscure
or jocular, as in the below, which I think I almost understand, where
"notwithstood" basically = 'disregarded, ignored':

http://piginawig.diaryland.com/050228.html
And, perhaps ironically, the Ottoman and Habsburg empires - sworn and
mortal enemies though they were - 's greatest achievement to the
modern eye was, in each case, to provide an overarching structure in
which multi-ethnique and multi-faith communities could prosper. This
remains our vision of what Yoorp should be, silly Papist claims that
Yoorp still properly means Western Christendom notwithstanding (and
boy do they need to be notwithstood).

Larry