Curb your dog

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 23 21:31:49 UTC 2005

That's how I and my family always interpreted it.  Till I received my degree, of course.

Since we didn't own a dog, it was moot.

JL

Ed Keer <edkeer at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Ed Keer
Subject: Curb your dog

A couple of weeks ago on Howard Stern, they were
talking about um, pooping in public. One of the guys
mentioned how he had done it in front of someone's
house once coming home late one night drunk. But had
made sure to poop in the strip of grass between the
sidewalk and the street. Another person, I think it
was Artie, commented that "He was taking the 'curb
your dog' rule literally."

It reminded me that for a long time I interpreted the
"curb" in "curb your dog" was the curb in the street.
Not the same "curb" as in "curb your enthusiasm." It
sounds like I'm not alone in this.

Is this an eggcorn?

watchmesleep.blogspot.com