Current Usage of "Hello"

Fri Jun 24 20:52:15 UTC 2005

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:04:09 -0400, Benjamin Zimmer
<bgzimmer at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:

>What we're looking for is the use of the exclamation to call attention
>to the *foolishness* of something/someone.  As HDAS points out, this is
>"typically pronounced with strong stress and falling intonation on [the]
>ultimate syllable," which is hard to represent in print (sometimes it
>shows up as a lengthened "Helloooo?" or something similar).

Oddly enough, this type of "Hello" was recently used in remarks by Gov.
Jeb Bush.  In the two press accounts I've seen, one followed the "Hello"
with an exclamation point and the other followed it with a question mark:

-----
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050623/APN/506231106
[Brent Kallestad, Associated Press Writer]
"How could you not know that you haven't paid your FICA and your Social
Security taxes?" Bush said. "Hello! That's just the craziest thing I've
ever heard."
-----
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050624/NEWS/506240382/1134
[Lloyd Dunkelberger, Ledger Tallahassee Bureau]
"How could you not know you haven't paid your (payroll) and Social
Security taxes? Hello? That's just the craziest thing I've ever heard."
-----

The Wonkette blog caught this and added some _Clueless_ embellishments...

-----
http://www.wonkette.com/politics/democrats/florida-political-dialog-ttyl-109903.php
Continued the governor: "I mean, like, I'm so sure." Reached for comment,
the chair of the Florida Dems replied, "Whatever. Bite me."
-----

--Ben Zimmer