spade cat (was Re: "like" and "as if")

Chris Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Fri Jun 24 21:11:32 UTC 2005

Benjamin Zimmer wrote:

>For all we know, the respelling may have already engendered eggcornic
>reinterpretations. And just imagine if this person's proposal was put
>into effect...
>
>-----
>http://www.cal.net/~pamgreen/rescue_commandments.html
>How I wish all vets would tatoo a spade symbol on each bitch's thigh
>when they do a spay ! (I intend to write an article on this which will
>be entitled "On Calling a Spayed a Spade.")
>-----

Oh, might it be the "digging something out" idea? Just found on Google:

----
And if it's female, you want to get it spade BEFORE it starts going into
heat, otherwise A.) You'll have to deal with the spawn of Satan and B.)
you have to be very careful when scheduling the surgery then because
vets charge more to spade a cat that's currently in heat.
----

To spade, spade, spade?

Chris Waigl