FW: Redeye; Hammerhead; Shot in the Dark (Coffee)

Fri Jun 24 21:42:41 UTC 2005

> I saw a "redeye" at my local Dean & Deluca cafe. I don't
> think I've =20 discussed these coffee drinks. Unfortunately,
> I don't have FACTIVA handy. An= y  other=20 names for the same thing?

"Redeye gravy" predates this by a long shot.  Gravy made from drippings
from country ham, and hot water or possibly coffee.  I've always assumed
that the name refers to the patterns made by the grease floating in the
water or coffee, rather than the state of the consumer.