searchable New Yorker--(request for "La Grande Pomme")

Sat Jun 25 03:27:58 UTC 2005

Gerald,

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:34:50 -0500, Cohen, Gerald Leonard <gcohen at UMR.EDU>
wrote:

>If someone already has access to the DVD, I'd be grateful if s/he would
>search for "La Grande Pomme" in a cartoon ca. 1970-1971.  I remember
>seeing the cartoon when it appeared, and I later often regretted not
>photocopying it.
>The cartoon was drawn shortly after NYC's sobriquet "The Big Apple" was
>revived and shows a French mother and daughter arriving by boat in New
>York, with the Statue of Liberty nearby. The daughter, enraptured, says
>to her mother (perhaps preceded by "Oh, Maman"): "La Grande Pomme!"

I have _The Complete Cartoons of The New Yorker_, with every cartoon
published from 1924 to 2004 on 2 CD-ROMs.  I did a search on the relevant
keywords but came up empty.  The indexing of the cartoons seems pretty
comprehensive, so I'm wondering if perhaps this cartoon appeared somewhere
other than the New Yorker?

--Ben