"Tragedy is when I cut my finger" (Mel Brooks); Broadway Brownies

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 26 05:01:46 UTC 2005

COMEDY + TRAGEDY + FINGER + YOU + I--208,000 Google hits, 13,000 Google
Groups hits
20 June 2005, National Review, pg. 22, col. 2:
MEL BROOKS once offered these succinct definitions of tragedy and comedy:
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an open  manhole."
OK, so I wasn't the poster boy on the cover of the National Review this
week. William F. Buckley, betcha he'd never be crazy enough to get involved in
New York City politics. But back to the Fred Shapiro-worthy quote.
(GOOGLE)
_Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is  when you fall into an ..._
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://blogs.blogosphere.ca/mig14&e=912)
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when  you fall into an open sewer
and
... Go here if you want  to read it. My favourite is: I don't know what your
blogs.blogosphere.ca/mig14 - 39k - Jun 24, 2005 - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:hsdVxm1N0LoJ:blogs.blogosphere.ca/mig14+comedy+tragedy+fing
er+you+i+&hl=en&start=1&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:blogs.blogosphere.ca/mig14)
_Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is  when you fall into an ..._
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=3&q=http://www.1-famous-quotes.com/quotes/4716
4.html&e=912)
By Movie.  Contact Us. Select a Topic for Your Quote. Tragedy is when I cut
my
finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer  and die. -- Mel Brooks ...
www.1-famous-quotes.com/quotes/47164.html - 14k - Jun 24, 2005 - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:gbKpA8Ch_AYJ:www.1-famous-quotes.com/quotes/
47164.html+comedy+tragedy+finger+you+i+&hl=en&start=3&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.1-famous-quotes.com/quotes/47164.html)
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
    Brian  Oplinger Jun 9 1993,  4:26 pm
    Newsgroups: rec.arts.movies  From: oplin... at minerva.crd.ge.com (Brian
Oplinger)    Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1993 20:11:24 GMT  Local: Wed,Jun  9 1993 4:11 pm
Subject: Re: Help needed on a quote from Groucho M

A bunch of folks arrive at:
>>>"Tragedy is if I cut my finger.
>>>Comedy is if I walk into an  open sewer and die."
>>>(according to the Macmillan Dictionary of  Quotations, he said this  in
New
>>>Yorker magazine, 30 Oct. 1978.)
Should be
>>"Tragedy is  if I cut my finger.
>>Comedy is if  YOU walk into an open  sewer and die."

But this is on the 2000 year old man stuff Mel  Brooks and Carl Reiner
did in the 60's. So the Macmillan Dictionary is wrong  by at least 8
years and my guess is more like 18. I have a 3 LP (vinyl) set  of the
improv work they did and I'm sure its much older than 1978.
--
brian
oplin... at ra.crd.ge.com

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
..._Funny  is money; 2,000-year-old, 48-year-old Mel Brooks: 'Comedy is not
surprise. It's  knowing.' _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=76544256&SrchMode=1&sid=2&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1119761524&
clientId=65882)
By Herbert Gold. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Mar 30,
1975. p. 179 (4 pages)
Last page:
"Tragedy is if I'll cut a finger, I go to Mount Sinai, get an X-ray, have  to
change bandages. Comedy is if you walk into an open sewer and die." (In
almost these words, the observation also appears in one of his recorded
interviews.)
BROADWAY BROWNIES
Any idea why they're called "Broadway Brownies"? Do they stop the show?
_http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1066/broadway-brownie_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/1066/broadway-brownie)