Old pronuciation of "Los Angeles"

Sun Jun 26 17:00:55 UTC 2005

Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> sez:

The 1935 film _Bordertown_ (with Paul Muni and [Bette] Davis - fine period
performances) is partially set in L.A.  My attention was caught by the fact
that a snooty villain pronounced it with a  / g /  rather than the now
universal / J /  (if I may use that ad-hoc symbol).

The quasi-Spanish origin of the pronunciation isn't the question. (The actor
was clearly using an English pronunciation and not trying consciously to
imitate Spanish.)

To me it sounded bizarre, but I'm pretty sure I've heard it in other old
movies. The question is how widespread was this, and when did it go away ?
<<<

Funny you should mention this just now. Just last night I was reminiscing to
my wife about the time a number of years ago when this same question came
up, either here or on the LINGUIST List. I hypothesized then that it had
come from a Spanish pronunciation with a velarized /n/: /lOsaNxElEs/.
English-speakers would hear [N + homorganic obstruent] where the orthography
has <ng>, and borrow it into English phonology as /Ng/. QEF.

Does anyone remember where this exchange occurred?

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]