GOP's "Big Tent" (1955, 1957)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jun 27 05:43:45 UTC 2005

There has been some dispute involving the "Log Cabin Republicans."  Governor
George Pataki has always said that the NYS GOP is a "big tent." I've  never
seen that big tent--I live in a small co-op apartment myself--but I  suppose
it's out there.
OED is late. Grant Barrett's book has a 1955 "big tent," but the 1957
citation here is helpful. "Big tent" increasingly refers to gay  issues. The
metaphor is "intense."
(GOOGLE)
_BoiFromTroy:New York, LA Republicans split on definition of  "Big Tent"_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=12&q=http://boifromtroy.com/archives/004129.
php&e=912)
Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg. Those who  support the Log Cabin kids say
including them allows the party to have a  “big tent image.” (Hee hee.) Sen. ...
boifromtroy.com/archives/004129.php - 12k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:mlDPbSvks1gJ:boifromtroy.com/archives/004129.php+"big+tent"+and+p
ataki&hl=en&start=12&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:boifromtroy.com/archives/004129.php)
_USA TODAY Education - Democracy TODAY_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=6&q=http://www.usatoday.com/educate/election04/article19.htm&e=912)
George Pataki introduces Bush on Thursday. All  favor abortion rights and
oppose ... The GOP remains "a big  tent," Castle says, even if "sometimes we have
to  ...
www.usatoday.com/educate/election04/article19.htm - 27k -  _Cached_
(http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:xpDwV6nE9X0J:www.usatoday.com/educate/election04/a
rticle19.htm+"big+tent"+and+pataki&hl=en&start=6&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.usatoday.com/ed
ucate/election04/article19.htm)
<NO
_Our Republican Allies Represent GOP's Future_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=7&q=http://online.logcabin.org/talking_points/talking_points_GOP_Allies
.html&e=912)
New York's Republican Governor, George  Pataki, has a strong gay rights
record ... Mr. Weld joined  Log Cabin members from around the nation at The Big
Tent  ...
online.logcabin.org/talking_points/  talking_points_GOP_Allies.html - 34k -
Jun 26, 2005 - _Cached_
(http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:CYOocZD29x4J:online.logcabin.org/talking_points/talking_points_GOP_Allies.html+"big+tent"+and+pa
taki&hl=en&start=7&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:online.logcabin.org/talking_points/talking_points
_GOP_Allies.html)
_EVOTE.COM_
(http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=9&q=http://www.evote.com/features_section/2004-09/09132004election2004.asp&e=912)
Gay GOP Big Tent Event Hosted by  ‘Anti-Gay’ Bloomberg? ... George Pataki,
US Sen. Arlen  Specter of Pennsylvania, and William Weld, former governor of
www.evote.com/features_section/  2004-09/09132004election2004.asp - 35k -
_Cached_
(http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:H4zTlpLYVBMJ:www.evote.com/features_section/2004-09/09132004election2004.asp+"big+tent"+and+pataki&hl=en&start=9&
ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.evote.com/features_section/2004-09/09132004election2004.asp)
<NO
<NO
<NO
<NOBR
<NOBR>bi
    3. Polit. A political party (or  coalition of parties) that permits and
encourages a broad spectrum of  views and opinions among its members rather
than insisting on strict  adherence to party policy; such inclusiveness espoused
as a doctrine or  strategy. Freq. attrib.

[1962<N Appleton (Wisconsin) Post-Crescent 29 June A6/3 If the Democratic
party were a single unity, with a common  viewpoint, Kennedy could count on a
dependable majority. But the party has  seldom been like this. It's like a big
tent, sheltering liberals and  conservatives.] 1964 Times 10 Sept. 9/2 He was
confident that the overwhelming majority of Mississippians had no wish to
crowd into President Johnson's big tent and share the company assembled there.
1987 New Yorker 21 Dec. 115  We're running a big-tent <NOBR>cawe<NOBR> never let
anybody unite  a major faction again 2001 Independent 2 Jan.  I. 1/2 They
suspect that Mr  Blair will fudge key issues in the Labour manifesto in an attempt
to  repeat the ‘Big  Tent’ appeal to all sections of  society.

       32. _How  They Got to Be President; A HISTORY OF PRESIDENTIAL ELEC-
TIONS. By Eugene  H. Roseboom. Mac- millan. $8.50. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=31&did=160521702&SrchMode=1&sid=7&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=30
9&VName=HNP&TS=1119850611&clientId=65882)
Reviewed by  Edward T. Folliard White House reporter for The Washington Post,
Folliard  has covered eight presidential campaigns.. The  Washington Post and
Times Herald (1954-1959). Washington, D.C.: Jul  14, 1957. p. E6 (1 page)
The Republicans, who are now upset by the quarrel in  their party between the
Moderns and the Old Guard, would profit by what Prof.  Rosenboom tells about
their party. They would be reminded that the GOP was made  up of diverse
elements even as it won its first victory behind Abraham Lincoln  and that, over
the years, it has held a big tent over liberals, conservatives,
middle-of-the-roaders, and also some  crackpots.