GOP's "Big Tent" (1955, 1957)

Mon Jun 27 06:14:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 01:43:45 EDT, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>There has been some dispute involving the "Log Cabin Republicans."
>Governor George Pataki has always said that the NYS GOP is a "big tent."
>I've  never seen that big tent--I live in a small co-op apartment
>myself--but I  suppose it's out there.
>OED is late. Grant Barrett's book has a 1955 "big tent," but the 1957
>citation here is helpful.

-----
Ironwood Daily Globe (Mich.), July 31, 1940, p. 5/5
Of all the Democratic bolters to go Willkie in recent weeks the proudest
captive of the GOP Big Tent is John Hanes, onetime treasury under
secretary in the Roosevelt cabinet, and more recently a director of the
Hearst corporation.
-----

--Ben Zimmer