LGBT (1991, 1992); London's "Daily Express" & Big Apple Whores (6-25-05)

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 28 17:40:02 UTC 2005

LONDON'S DAILY EXPRESS & THE BIG APPLE WHORES
Can't people in England Google? We have some UK-based ADS-L subscribers here. Can you write in to the Daily Express? Can you tell them that I did "break a leg," too? Can you tell the Daily Express that I'm going to break both their legs???
(FACTIVA)
YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED
670 words
The Daily Express
45
English
(c) 2005 Express Newspapers

The Saturday briefing
Is there anything you are desperately yearning to know? Are there any pressing factual disputes you would like us to help resolve? This is the page where we shall do our best to answer any questions you throw at us, whatever the subject.
QWhy is New York called The Big Apple?
Jeff Parsons, Godalming, Surrey AAccording to the Society for New York City History, it all started with a French woman called Evelyn who opened a highly successful brothel in New York around 1804 with girls whom she referred to as "Eve's irresistible apples". Early references to New York as "The Apple" or "Big Apple" were references to the city's decadence, while the politician William Jennings Bryan in 1892 called the city "the foulest Rotten Apple on the Tree of decadent Federalism". The Apple Marketing Board then turned things round by promoting slogans such as "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" and "as American as apple pie". Finally, in the Thirties, American jazz musicians adopted the phrase and it stuck.
QWhy do Arsenal fans call themselves The Gooners?
John English, by e-mail AIt all started as an insult by Spurs fans in the Sixties when they taunted their North London rivals by changing the official name of Gunners (an arsenal is where guns and ammunition are kept) to Gooners. The Arsenal fans rather liked the name and adopted it for themselves.
QCould you please tell me what does the saying "FAB" in the hit puppet show Thunderbirds mean?
Ross, age 12, by e-mail AThanks for the question, Ross.
Don't believe anyone who tells you it's "Filed, Actioned, Briefed" or "Fine Acknowledge Broadcast" or anything like that. The official answer, according to Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson, is that FAB doesn't stand for anything at all. It was something they made up on the spur of the moment during a writing session and never meant anything other than "fabulous".
QIs it true everyone has a doppelganger somewhere?
Glyn Thomas, Hadleigh AThat's an easy one - the answer's No. But with six and a half billion people to choose from, you'd have a good chance of finding a near match somewhere, even if you don't have your own waxwork partner.
QAbout 30 years ago, I was listening to the news when there was an item about an invention involving gyroscopes that would make it possible to fly to Australia in six hours.What happened to this?
A Chell, Bangor ANot quite 30 years. The man was Scottish inventor Sandy Kidd who had been experimenting with gyroscopic propulsion from the midEighties. In 1988 he came up with an idea that was hailed as likely to revolutionise travel. Newspapers even talked about trips to Mars in 34 hours and London to Sydney in minutes. An Australian corporation, British Aerospace and US Universities all tried to develop the idea, but nothing ever came of it. Sandy Kidd is still working in this area but has recently described at least one aspect of it as a "disreputable pursuit".
QI know the theatrical expression "break a leg" means good luck, but how did it originate?
Robert Broadfield, Stourbridge AThere are around a dozen theories, some more far-fetched than others.
Some link it to the assassination of Abraham Lincoln by the actor John Wilkes Booth in 1865. After firing the fatal shot, Booth jumped from the stage and broke his leg. But actors did not use the phrase until at least the Twenties, so an 1865 origin looks doubtful. Another theory is that it is a wish for the actor to take many final bows in response to applause. The more you bow, the more likely you are to break a leg. Most likely, though, is a derivation from the German actors' greeting "Hals und Beinbruch", meaning "neck and leg break". It was supposed to be a way of wishing good luck without inviting the fates to wreck your hopes.
LGBT
Can anyone beat Grant Barrett's 1991 for LGBT or LGBTQ? Google Groups seems to take it back to 1992 at best...Why isn't it the more alphabetically ordered BGLT? Would that be bacon, guava, lettuce, tomato?

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/lgbtq/
LGBTQ adj. having a sexual orientation other than heterosexual.
Acronym. English. Gay. Sexuality.  United States. [Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/transsexual/two-spirited, queer/questioning.]
1991 Val Codd, Rebecca Myers-Spiers Off Our Backs (Aug. 1) "Young queers unite" vol. 29, no. 8, p. 4: Many participants voiced concern that although the Castro, the city's premier gay neighborhood, is a safe space for all lgbtq people, it is primarily a gay male middle-class enclave, and is not always a safe space for queer homeless youth. 1998 Daphne Scholinski The Last Time I Wore a Dress (Oct. 1) p. 209: National caolition of organizations and agencies serving LGBTQ youth. 2004 Sheila Mullowney Newport Daily News (R.I.) (May 17) "'Queer' label still raises questions": It can be used to describe both gender identity and sexual orientation and increasingly is being used in a new, wide-ranging alphabet soup-LGBTQQ, for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning in Youth Pride's case, or in the case of the Rhode Island Foundation's "Meet the Neighbors" report released last year, LGBTQ, for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirited (a Native American reference), queer and questioning.
(GOOGLE GROUPS)
  gaynet  Aug 11 1992, 5:39 pm