wush (was Re: "Sock It to Me")

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jun 28 18:25:32 UTC 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 12:24 PM, Dennis R. Preston wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at MSU.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: wush (was Re: "Sock It to Me")
> --------
>
> JL is indeed correct to note that "wuz" is ambiguous as to its true
> eye-dialect status. There are some of us (standard speakers like me)
> who have wedge (the vowel of "butt"). Some strange speakers

Damn, dInIs! "Strange speakers"?!" That sho' wahz col'! "Wuz" is
strange to those of us who use [waz] with a vowel approaching that of
"father," as you,  correctly, as usual, note. Another case is the
citation/stressed pronunciation of "of" as "ahv" instead of as "uv."
An' we aint no "_strange_ minori-tih," neevuh! Y'all BIN knowin' who we
is! ;-)

(Baugh, I believe it is, would prefer "been know," but for me and mine,
it's always been "been Verb+ing." A dialect split, I guess. I once
cited to John at the first NWAV a sentence spoken by a geechee Army
buddy of mine: "When I was stationed at Fort Polk [LA], man, I STOOD in
New Orleans," meaning, of course, that he STAYED - spent all of his
free time - in N.O. This was something that I found interesting, given
the existence of the much older use of "stood" as the past of "stay" in
"I should have stood in bed," supposedly spoken by a Jewish New Yorker
back in the '40's. John chose not to make a reply of any kind, though
this example in no way contradicted any of his points. So, he's not on
my list of good people. Not that this matters, of course. I'm dealing
with a migraine and I just feel like whining. ;-)  BTW, I've also heard
"nem" as in "Mama-nem" - generally considered to be a Southernism and
"scream on" - used in St. Louis BE slang to mean "shout at" - likewise
used by Jewish New Yorkers with the relevant meaning. Weird! IAC, if
I've offended anyone, I apologize.)

-Wilson Gray