wush (was Re: "Sock It to Me")

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 28 22:23:45 UTC 2005

That's very interesting, Larry. I had no idea about the Pittsburgh
usage. Needless to say, I faked it in my spelling. I say "Mama-nim."
It would take about a week of practice for me to be able to lower
[nIm] to [nEm] and I'd still have to plan ahead, to use it in actual
speech.

The guy that I heard say "Mama-nem" was the Bloch Fellow at the 1971
LSA Summer Institute. He was an Americanist - the Haida language, if
memory serves - from Columbia. Unfortunately, I'm able only to
tip-of-my-tongue his name. In his speech, he sounded like the second
coming of Arnold Stang. I don't know whether you're old enough to
remember Arnold, but he made his living playing the Yiddish-accented,
token Jewish kid, with a name like "Harvey Prinzmettel"(sp?), on a
zillion radio programs - A Date With Judy, Meet Corliss Archer, Our
Miss Brooks, etc. - and a few early TV shows, back in the day.

-Wilson

--
-Wilson Gray