beezark (1919)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jun 30 22:27:10 UTC 2005

_Secret of the Ancient Oak_, by the pseudonymous "Wolo," was published in New York by Morrow in 1942.

JL

"Peter A. McGraw" <pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Peter A. McGraw"

Subject: Re: beezark (1919)

I'm trying to square the comments so far with my only previous encounter
with the word. In one of my favorite books as a child, Secret of the
Ancient Oak, a large-format book with stunning illustrations by Wolo,
there's a character named Bezark (or Beezark) the Snifferpuss, who guards a
strategic gate that the main character, a monkey named Sir Archibald, must
pass on his quest to retrieve the king's crown. Bezark is female and has
feline features. Sir Archibald expresses surprise that she knew he was
coming, and she says, "I can smell 'em coming. If I like 'em, I let 'em
through. If I don't, I eat 'em." Why Bezark, I wonder? Maybe the author
(whose name I can't remember) heard the word or the surname and just liked
the sound of it.

Peter

--On Thursday, June 30, 2005 4:41 AM -0700 Jonathan Lighter