rods and poles

Martin, Katherine katherine.martin at OUP.COM
Tue Mar 1 15:16:59 UTC 2005

The OED (ed. 2) entry for pole n.1 includes the sense "a rudimentary
fishing rod; esp. one used without fittings other than a line
connected to the tip of the rod (now chiefly N. Amer.)"

In my own usage (born and raised in VT), pole is simply a synonym for
rod, without any implication of technological simplicity. It is the
only term that I use, but I have the sense of there being some sort of
register distinction here, with rod as the more formal, pole as the
more colloquial.

DARE doesn't note any regional usages here, and pole is not covered
specifically in the angling sense in either M-W or Amer. Heritage.

To test the "rudimentary" aspect, I searched proquest for "pole" and
"reel", and found ample evidence of poles with reels, including some
along the lines of the following, where the narrative uses "rod", but
direct quotes feature "pole", though there are also examples of "pole"
in straight reportage.

2004 _Field & Stream_ (South ed.) Feb. p. 28

Hall's catfish tackle consists of stout 7-to-7-foot rods, Abu Garcia
7000 big-game baitcasting reels, and 40-pound-test Berkley Big Game
monofilament... "When I see the tip of a pole quiver, I pick it up and
engage the reel."

Does anyone have further insight into this, specifically concerning a)
whether "pole" does typically indicate a simpler sort of fishing rod;
(b) whether there is a colloquial/standard dimension to pole/rod?

Thanks,

Katherine
OED