short order cook (1891) short order restaurant (1887)

Tue Mar 1 19:00:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:18:15 -0500, Barnhart <barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM> wrote:

>OEDs: 1956.
>
>However, in NewspaperARCHIVE.com, in a column of advertisements:
>
>Short Orders.
>Having lately added a short order bill of fare also the services of a good
>short order cook, I am now prpared to sever meals all hours during the day
>or night up to 1 o'clock.  Give me a call.
>Hue Singleton, Decatur Morning Review, Oct. 21, 1891, p 4

The term also appears in L.A. Times classified ads from Nov. 1891 on.

>And, for short order restaurant from the same data base, in a column of
>advertisements only some of the type of which is legible.  However, this
>line of time is incontestably readable despite the fact that the line
>above and the line below are unreadable (to me):
>
>SHORT ORDER RESTAURANT
>Colorado Sprins Gazette, Oct. 23, 1887, p 2

By searching on "shortorder" I was able to find a more legible version of
what is apparently the same ad, published several months earlier:

-----
_Daily Gazette_ (Colorado Springs), Feb. 24, 1887, p. 4, col. 3
Chicago Bakery
ERICSON & GOUGH,
Proprietors,
Next Door to the Postoffice.
We invite a Trial of Our
Bread and Cakes
As we are sure they will be found
Superior to any in the city. We also
carry a full line of Choice Confection-
ery and Pure Home-Made Candies.
We have also in connection with our
Bakery a
Short Order Restaurant
And are prepared to fill all orders for Ice
Cream and Ices.
-----

--Ben Zimmer