"guy" used by teens?

Patti J. Kurtz kurtpatt4 at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Mar 2 20:47:06 UTC 2005

I know that "guy" (fellow) goes back to the mid 1800's.  My question
is-- would it have been used by teenagers in that time period to refer
to others of their own age group, as in 'he saw her standing between two
guys."  Or is the use of this by teens a more recent phenomenon?

Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thanks!
--

Dr. Patti J. Kurtz

Assistant Professor, English

Director of the Writing Center

Minot State University

Minot, ND 58707

Foster: What about our evidence? They've got to take notice of that.

Straker: Evidence. What's it going to look like when Henderson claims
that we manufactured it, just to get a space clearance program?

Foster: But we are RIGHT!

Straker: Sometimes, Colonel, that's not quite enough.