strong like ball

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Mar 3 04:09:18 UTC 2005

My grandmother used both "greedy-gut" and "glutton" with wild abandon.
However, I don't recall that she ever said just plain "gut(s)." She
used "insides" for chickens or named the individual parts thereof, when
asked. Since we had our own chickens, I saw my grandfather kill a
chicken by literally wringing its neck. He picked up the chicken by its
head, made a particular movement with his wrist, and the chicken's head
remained in his hand and its body fell to the ground, where it ran
around like a chicken with its head cut or, rather, torn off.

So, I've seen a literal slap on the wrist, a neck literally wrung, and
a chicken literally running around with its head torn off.

I've just heard a character on CSI: NY say for[beid] for "forbade." O,
tempora! O, mores!

-Wilson