"snow day" superstitions

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 3 15:07:29 UTC 2005

The question arose on another list of whether elementary school children have "always" practiced superstitious observances to cause a "snow day" off from school - flushing ice cubes down the toilet, for example.

I never heard of this in NYC in the '50s - or anywhere till this week.  Does anybody remember such superstitions ?

Also, what's the earliest date fro "snow day" ?  This seems to me to be from the ''80s - not that I ever took notes on it.

JL