strong like ball

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Mar 3 18:44:51 UTC 2005

At 11:09 PM 3/2/2005, you wrote:
>My grandmother used both "greedy-gut" and "glutton" with wild abandon.
>However, I don't recall that she ever said just plain "gut(s)." She
>used "insides" for chickens or named the individual parts thereof, when
>asked. Since we had our own chickens, I saw my grandfather kill a
>chicken by literally wringing its neck. He picked up the chicken by its
>head, made a particular movement with his wrist, and the chicken's head
>remained in his hand and its body fell to the ground, where it ran
>around like a chicken with its head cut or, rather, torn off.
>
>So, I've seen a literal slap on the wrist, a neck literally wrung, and
>a chicken literally running around with its head torn off.

I have too--in fact, my mother did the chicken-neck wringing so that we
could have "chicken every Sunday."

>I've just heard a character on CSI: NY say for[beid] for "forbade." O,
>tempora! O, mores!
>
>-Wilson

I hear this all the time--no biggie.  But re. an earlier thread, today, on
our local radio, I heard a student announcer say "... the 10 million dollar
jackpot drawling...."  She was obviously reading a script, so the intrusive
/l/ intrudes even in spite of print.  Not uncommon in southern Ohio.