akdweesh... was sammies

Lois Nathan LBNath88545112 at AOL.COM
Fri Mar 4 13:15:41 UTC 2005

Dear All,
    Subsequent to last month's discussion on "sandwich" and its variations
(I'm pitifully late reading my mail), while I believe I missed part of that
exchange, I would like to submit a deviation I'm aware of that I don't think made
the list, and which might be interesting to some people : akdweesh
(pronunciation), akdwich (spelling).
    This was seeded in the US of A by a French speaker, sojourning for an
extended period on the northeast coast.  The expression traveled to southeast
Florida and then to Chicago, all around the very early 1990s.  I heard it used on
the northeast coast, in restricted circles.  I don't know if it has died out
or not, but it could resuscitate.
    Here's how it works.  In French the word "sandwich" is used.  It is
pronounced /sãdwish/. (I momentarily don't have the IPA on my computer.  I'll do my
best.)  "Sans" /sã/ means "without".  "Dwich" means nothing on its own I'm
aware of.  "Avec", on the other hand, means "with".   Substitute "avec" for /sã/
and you get "avecdwich"   This declines into /akdwish/, sometimes /akdwitsh/
(obvious English language influence).  This can become, with a little
inversion /akdwisht/, further declining into /akdwist/ or in its most trimmed form,
/dwist/.   Hence, "Tu veux un... dwist?"  Or as it was passed around in the US,
"You want a dwist?"  ("Dwist" is of course substitutable by any of its more
lengthy above mentioned forms.)
    For what it's worth.
    I don't know about Wilson Gray coining "pimpmobile", but I know who
coined this one.  The name can be supplied upon request.

All the best,
Lois Nathan