COKE in the South

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Fri Mar 4 15:04:25 UTC 2005

In the early days of the introduction of tooth-destroying US
sofdranks into then-Communist Eastern Europe, Coke carved out a place
for itself in Warsaw, but Krakow went for Pepsi. (Poznan also had
Coke, but I'm not sure of the rest of the national distribution;
seems to me that Gdansk-Gdynia-Sopot was also Coke territory.)

Since they were "Western," these sofdranks had a much higher status
than in the US. If you asked for one in even a pretty fancy place, it
was not brought in a chilled glass (with throat-destroying ice,
according to local belief), but the bottle itself was prominently
displayed on the table, so that envious nearby diners could se what a
high-roller you were. (Much more clout than a bottle of Russian
champagne, delicious but cheap - and, of course, from the BAD PLACE!)

In those days in Krakow, however, where I had on occasion to order
for others, I asked for a "Coke" (I actually said "Coca-Cola") and
was served Pepsi without hesitation, often by a waiter in a tux, and
once with the bottle lovingly wrapped in a white napkin. I shoulda
asked what year it was.

What other evidence do we have of non-US use of Coke (or Coca-Cola)
as a generic?

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston