keeping the discourse civil and avoiding slurs

Fri Mar 4 21:26:24 UTC 2005

In a message dated 3/4/05 2:41:19 PM, laurence.horn at YALE.EDU writes:

> Purist shmurist; let's try to keep the discourse civil and avoid slurs.

Mine was, I confess, a somewhat sardonic reference to Larry's "aren't you
being prescriptivist" comment about my original objection to someone's usage of
GENERIC to refer to the shorthand (quasigeneric) use of KLEENEX. But I did not
take that to be an uncivil slur.