Is GENERICIDE a bad choice or morphemes?

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Mar 4 22:01:32 UTC 2005

The last time I remember this happening was in 1993, but I skipped
a bunch of DSNA meetings after that, so the custom might have
died out well afterwards, for all I know.

I apologize if I came across as anti-attorney.  Obviously, many
lawyers are extremely literate and scholarly; where would a
historical lexicographer be without them?  It just bugged me a lot to
be finger-wagged about how to handle sensitive lexicographical
matters by people who had an obvious financial interest in
shortchanging the purely linguistic side of things.  (If you're an
academic, imagine being herded into a room by budget-slashing
government officials and told, "Enough with the expensive
conferences and academic journals -- you intellectuals need to
make up your minds about what you think!")

Joanne