Is GENERICIDE a bad choice or morphemes?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 5 00:31:25 UTC 2005

It's not just aesthetically bad - it's transparently stupid.  Lawyers are usually more scrupulous -about language, anyway. The obvious pun on "genocide" is also idiotic.

It may be a hybrid, but what's wrong with "brandicide" ?

JL

"Joanne M. Despres" <jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Joanne M. Despres"
Subject: Re: Is GENERICIDE a bad choice or morphemes?

Though my descriptivist training restrains me from quibbling,
personally I've always felt exactly as Larry does -- that "genericide"
is a patently self-contradictory coinage by people whose real
interest obviously isn't in language. Even descriptivists have their
private likes and dislikes, I guess.

At least we don't have to listen to lawyers lecture at us while
partaking of their wine and cheese. (Ugh! That Trademark Assn.-
sponsored reception used to be my least favorite part of DSNA
meetings.)

Joanne Despres
Merriam-Webster