the meaning of GENERIC in linguistics

Sat Mar 5 05:44:19 UTC 2005

Larry Horn's comments (reproduced below) were for me thought-provoking , aND
I need to think about them some more. (Thanks, Larry, for the summary of
aspects of the Horn-Kleinedler LSA paper, which I think you were indeed kind enough
to send me some time in the past.) However, I hope Larry will give me some
clarification of just how he is using the term GENERIC in linguistics for words
where trademarks are not involved, because he seems to be using the term
GENERIC in a way unusual to either linguistics or the law.

With respect to trademark law, the term "generic" relates to features of
individual words--trademarks are as special kind of proper noun. This is the sense
in which it is usually used in lexicography, to my knowlege. In linguistics,
to my knowledge, "generic" is a syntactic property of nouns rather than an
inherent feature of individual words. That is to say, "man" and "guy" are
intrinsically neither generic nor nongeneric; rather, they are construed as "generic"
or "nongeneric" in particular linguistic contexts. This is the definition
that I find in all introdcutory linguistics textbooks and dictionaries of
linguistics, which usually gok on to give such stock examples as the following:

GENERIC: Man is an animal that nurses its young.
GENERIC: A man should always open a door for a lady.
NONGENERIC: A man opened a door for a lady.
NONGENERIC: The man was an animal who tried to nurse his young.

So I totally agree with Larry that the noun MAN "isn't quite the same as
'kleenex' " with respect to genericness; indeed, lexically, MAN is always
potentially either generic or nongeneric, and so is GUY, except insofar as MAN or GUY
may be a trademark, which is perfectly possible (though I don't know of any
myself off the top of my head). Syntactically, MAN is either generic or
nongeneric, depending on the syntax. That is to say, there is indeed a major
difference between words such as GUY or MAN and words such as KLEENEX: brand names are
intrinsically generic proper nouns, and people give them some kind of special
status based on that fact.

"autohyponymous" is a term that I am not familiar with, so I have some
trouble following Larry's argument below (how a word can be hyponymous to itself is
not clear to me).   I agree, though, that speakers' use of KLEENEX to refer to
tissues in general often times "reflects speakers' knowledge of their
meaning" as (1) trademarks (proper nouns) and as (2) the thing that the trademark
(proper noun) most frequently refers to (i.e, facial tissues)--indeed, I that
hass been pretty much central to my argument all along! On the other hand,
speakers' use of ZIPPER to refer to a type of fastener "reflects" only on the latter
kind of knowledge.

Why Larry and Steve would call MAN a "quasi-generic"--and what the difference
is for them between "quasi-generic" and "pseudo-generic"--I'd also like to
know about.