COKE in the Maryland

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 5 16:27:50 UTC 2005

"Campus" is relevant because my point was that "dope" = Coke seems to be on the way out.  In other words, not so much used by young people.

"Dope" (marijuana or drugs in general) is more likely to be "discordant" than "coke" because confusion is theoretically possible in non-count utterances like "I'm gonna get _some_ dope" than in count-noun situations like "I'm gonna get _a_ coke."

"Dope" = Coke is also a count-noun, but the non-count situations may be enough to help tip the balance against it.

Of course, if Bethany is right that "dope" =Coke is still going strong, the whole question is moot.

JL

RonButters at AOL.COM wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: RonButters at AOL.COM
Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20Re:=20COKE=20in=20the=20M?
=
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20=A0=20aryland?
=

In a message dated 3/4/05 7:26:42 PM, wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM writes:

> "Coke" (the drug) interferes less because expensive, more strongly tabooed,
> and less common on campus.

Well, then, wouldn't the taboo work against the retention of coke as a
generic for soft drsinks?

I agree that coke the drug is more expensive, and it is certainly more
dangerous than pot, but it is pretty common in the USA (what does campus have to do
with it?), and it is somewhat glamorized among some young people precisely
because it is so dangerous.