Re. do rag

Sally O. Donlon sod at LOUISIANA.EDU
Sun Mar 6 15:18:57 UTC 2005

While in undergraduate school, beginning in about 1972, my housemates
and I hosted periodic "Do Rag and Cracker" parties. The mass printed
invitations claimed the "Center for Cultural Deviance" as host, and
encouraged guests to "bring your own do rag and crackers."  Most people
at the time did not know the first reference, but a few understood the
bi-racial implication through association with the second. Baskets
filled with bandannas and soda crackers by the front door helped to
further the theme.

I still occasionally overhear people I've never met -- or can't
remember -- reminiscing about this series of about five events. This,
of course, was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

sally donlon