Do-Rag (1966)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Mar 6 17:20:38 UTC 2005

>Traditionally, do-rags were worn only by black males to keep
>processed  hair in place/ to maintain the 'do. Clarence Major's Juba to
>Jive traces it back to the 1940's. It's not just a "scrap of material" but
>a scarf or handkerchief or stocking cap.

I can remember this expression only back to 1960 or 1961 (before that I
don't remember). As I recall it, the conventional stocking cap or watch cap
(although maybe sometimes worn for the same purpose) wouldn't have been
called a do-rag usually where I came from, and "do-rag" referred to a
bandanna or similar piece of cloth or else to a nylon stocking or similar
item worn on the head ... but maybe I misremember. Usually IIRC the do-rag
was ostensibly for hairdo purposes, but if somebody was wearing one on the
job or around the house it wouldn't be obvious whether it was for that or
for sweat control or what. I think a do-rag was still a do-rag if seen on a
white man ca. 1960, but IIRC it wasn't often seen on a white man in my
environment. I don't have any definite knowledge about the etymology;
"[hair]do" seems likely enough unless there's contradictory evidence.

-- Doug Wilson