Dictionaries Online

Sun Mar 6 23:10:27 UTC 2005

Residents of Alabama, with a local library card, get access to the Alabama Virtual Library which recently added the OED online.  You can get a nonresident borrower's card from the Huntsville Public Library for $15/yr; I don't know if that is sufficient to get access to the AVL databases.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of RonButters at AOL.COM
Sent: Sun 3/6/2005 12:36 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:     Dictionaries Online

But M-W unabridged online is nothing like the OED online. I am fortunate in
that I can get OED online through Duke University, but if I couldn't, I'd be
willing to pay an awful lot for it. The OED online takes unabridged
dictionaries to a totally new level of usability. There has never been
anything like it in the history of dictionary making.