Do-Rag (1966)

Margaret Lee mlee303 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 7 11:48:39 UTC 2005

What's the difference between the "conventional stocking cap or watch cap" (and what is a watch cap?)  and the nylon stocking worn on the head?

"Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
I can remember this expression only back to 1960 or 1961 (before that I
don't remember). As I recall it, the conventional stocking cap or watch cap
(although maybe sometimes worn for the same purpose) wouldn't have been
called a do-rag usually where I came from, and "do-rag" referred to a
bandanna or similar piece of cloth or else to a nylon stocking or similar
item worn on the head ...