Do-Rag (1966)

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 7 15:42:25 UTC 2005

Margaret Lee wrote:

> "Douglas G. Wilson" <douglas at NB.NET> wrote:
> I can remember this expression only back to 1960 or 1961 (before that I
> don't remember). As I recall it, the conventional stocking cap or watch cap
> (although maybe sometimes worn for the same purpose) wouldn't have been
> called a do-rag usually where I came from, and "do-rag" referred to a
> bandanna or similar piece of cloth or else to a nylon stocking or similar
> item worn on the head ...

 > What's the difference between the "conventional stocking cap or watch
cap" (and what is a watch cap?)  and the nylon stocking worn on the head?

A conventional stocking or watch cap is much heavier-weight, and must be
knit. Here's the first hit from Google Images
<http://www.nancysknitknacks.com/Watch%20Cap%2002%20%2072%20W.JPG>.

To my mind, the prototypical do-rag is what football players wear under
their helmets. These seem to be fairly thin cloth, and could be woven
rather than knit.

--

Alice Faber