Hootenanny

Educational CyberPlayGround admin at EDU-CYBERPG.COM
Mon Mar 7 20:33:44 UTC 2005

I learned this word when in 1961.
when I first learned to bay the baritone ukelele
and was asked to participate in hootenany's
with the rest of the students. We met at someone's
home about once a month for a singalong. We did
learn folksongs, but you could have sung anything.
The point to perform and to sing together.

fyi - classmate Joel Bernstein
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/ringleaders/Home_ringleaders.html

best,

Karen Ellis

At 01:32 PM 3/7/2005, you wrote:
>-----------------------
>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>Poster:       sagehen <sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM>
>Subject:      Re: Hootenanny
>
> >Another sense, that no-one's mentioned so far, is known in the UK from
> the New
> >Year TV party "Jools' Annual Hootenanny".  Jools Holland is a jazz
> pianist, a
> >raconteur and definitely someone to be seen with, and he hosts this annual
> >broadcast musical gathering from about 11am until 1am every 31 December - 1
> >January;  fashionable people are invited and interviewed by him, and play /
> >sing their music if they are musicians.
> >
> >Before this ADS-L thread I had never come across the word except in Jools'
> >context, and so assumed that it must mean something noisy / raucous / joyful
> >(onomatopoeia from 'hoot' and from the number of syllables and different
> >vowels
> >in the word, I suppose).  But if there are more Google hits for
> >'thingumajig'-like meanings, perhaps Jools calls it that because it
> >doesn't fit
> >comfortably into any other definition, so he doesn't really know *what* to
> >call
> >it?
> >
> >Damien Hall
> >University of Pennsylvania
>~~~~~~~~
>The other use of "hoot(e)nanny," more like the one you cite, and which I
>didn't learn until I was in college in the late 40s, was for a
>singalong--usually folk, labor, political kinds of music.  Pete Seeger
>might have presided over this sort of event:  don't really remember. I
>think that usage was fairly widespread.
>A. Murie

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
Guavaberry Books
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/GuavaberryBooks/
Domino - Traditional Children's Songs, Proverbs, and Culture U.S.V.I.
Find Music Books by The Funk Brothers  - 2x Grammy Winners

The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Culdesac/Repository/NCFR.html

Hot List of Schools Online
Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty